Last fall I brought Warbler, our 1942 18 ft Chris-Craft, into the hangar shop for routine paint and varnish. When I got it opened up, it flunked inspection. The bottom plywood in the foreword five feet was punky and delaminating. I took core samples with a three inch hole saw. Years ago, when the original bottom was replaced with plywood, they used (easy to bend) cheap luan plywood in the flared section. The rest of the bottom is high grade marine plywood and still looks good (fingers crossed).
After consulting with the bottom guru, Jay Annis, I bought a sheet of 1/4 inch Merranti marine plywood from Spencer Boat Works. The delaminated plywood was carefully removed with a small router. The remaining epoxy mess was softened with a heat gun and removed with a scraper. The new plywood was ripped into strips. A temporary batten was fabricated to go between the frames to help achieve the curve of the flair. The inner layer strips were installed vertically and the outer strips were installed at an angle using the West System epoxy. Wood screws with fender washers were used to hold the strips in place while the epoxy cured.
It looks good. Now we will give it the "season in the water" test. I am ready! Myndy Woodruff